At noon today, we wrapped The Horror Show with Brian Keene’s 24-hour live telethon to benefit the Scares That Care charity. Our goal was to raise $10,000 for Scares That Care, to benefit these three families. I am happy to report we achieved our goal.
I woke at 6:00am Thursday and went to bed at 1:00pm Friday. I spent 24 hours of that time talking. The rest was spent either preparing to talk or recovering from talking. All in all, both Dave and myself were awake 31 hours or so. If you were listening, you know what the physical toll was. Dave’s delirium (“I sang? I don’t remember that…”) and the blood in my throat and heart issues were not fake or played up for the air.
My sincere thanks to each and every single person that donated to this very worthy cause.
Thanks to my co-hosts Dave Thomas and Geoff Cooper. And to Phoebe.
Thanks to our guests Ronald Malfi, Wrath James White, Mary SanGiovanni, Scott Edelman, Christopher Golden, Damien Angelica Walters, Stephen Kozeniewski, Jonathan Janz, John Urbancik, Nate Southard, Bracken MacLeod, Armand Rosamilia, Chuck Buda, Frank Edler, Michael Bailey, Robert Ford, Jeff Burk, Amber Fallon, Kristopher Rufty, Christian Jensen, Mike Lombardo, Steve Boliek, Ralph Bieber, Kyle Lybeck, Wile E. Young, Patrick J. Kennedy, and Somer Canon.
Thanks to Maurice Broaddus and Jeff Strand for being good sports with the crank phone calls.
Thanks to Robert Swartwood, Sinister Grin Press, Written Backwards, Survival Weekly, Steve Wands, and many others for their generous push goals.
Thanks to Scares That Care’s Brian Smith, Alfred Guy, and Joe Ripple.
My sincere thanks to the diehards like Jim and Ed-Die and so many others who stayed awake the full 24 hours with us and kept the hashtag active, engaging, and trending.
Again, thanks to all of you who donated, and my sincere apologies to anyone I may have forgotten above.
In the coming days, people will ask what my favorite parts were. To be honest, right now everything is a blur. But perhaps I’d choose:
1. That impromptu rendition of Simon and Garfunkel’s “The Sounds of Silence” by myself, Coop, and Dave (with the made-up-on-the-spot alternate lyrics).
2. Playing disc jockey at 4am (and thanks to Witch Mountain, Xander Harris, Sick of it All, Kasey Lansdale, Charred Walls of the Damned, Lace Weeper, The Slow Poisoners, BJ Pruitt and the Barnstormers and all the other musicians). I haven’t done that in a long, long time, and it felt good.
3. The energy that both Ronald Malfi and Damien Angelica Walters brought with them (and understand, all of guests did this, but those two came at moments when Dave and I were truly flagging, and elevated the room again).
4. Somer Canon and Mary SanGiovanni’s discussion of Women in Horror, Then and Now.
6. Getting hit in the head with the spatula.
Again, thank you to our listeners, our fans, our peers, and their fans, for making this a success.
Much love and respect,